Education & Training
Program Leader - Dr Ian Roach, The Australian National University, Canberra
Regolith Teaching and Training Materials
Project Leader: Ian Roach, ANU
Start Date: July 2006 - 2 years
Participants: The University of Adelaide, The Australian National University, Curtin University of Technology
Brief project description:
This project included outputs and outcomes that previously became the refocus of 'Virtual Regolith Worlds', but because of a change in outputs the project name was changed. The main emphasis of this project was for the provision of regolith teaching and training materials, used in the delivery of undergraduate, Honours and external professional client courses. This included the writing and presentation of lecture, practical and field-teaching materials; remote sensing and basemap imagery and presentation; and undergraduate student mapping and sampling programs. The quality of these teaching materials ensured that CRC LEME science is an integral part of teaching courses, particularly within university undergraduate courses and the MTEC shortcourse program. This project enabled for the provision of high-quality teaching materials (ie. the content) for 2 of the 3 of the major objectives of CRC LEME's E&T program:
- "Provide workshops, seminars and training courses on regolith geoscience and related disciplines, directed at students, industry, government and institutional professionals"; and,
- "Contribute regolith content to university" courses
Previous to this project there was a major deficit in the provision of quality teaching materials for regolith geoscience. The project was necessary for the delivery of courses via the core party universities but also for providing materials for other teaching requirements in regolith geoscience.
Deliverables (outputs) and expected impacts of research (outcomes):
- Quality teaching content for the delivery of under-graduate courses in regolith geoscience;
- Quality teaching content for the delivery of MTEC shortcourses
- Regolith geoscience and remote sensing digital data package for Fowlers Gap Arid Zone Research Station (first edition). This included a compilation of remote sensing, maps and analytical results derived from previous CRC LEME courses at this much utilised regolith teaching site
- Production of teaching materials to contribute to regolith geoscience text-book
- A series of publications including papers, articles, abstracts, Open File Reports, presentations and data files related to LEME E&T activities.
- The legacy of this work includes the increased skill and knowledge in regolith geoscience of graduates in Earth Sciences; continued recruitment of Honours and PhD students; and greater industry skill and knowledge.
- Impressive content for contributions of regolith geoscience to teaching and training courses
- Production of "industry-ready" graduates with regolith geoscience skills and knowledge